Search This Blog

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Who am I (as a Writer)?

Who am I as a writer?

This is the question I was asked to reflect on, but I think a better question would be, “who do I want to be as a writer?”

My writing, for many years, was predominantly either academic or intended for my eyes only.  I wrote the essays I was assigned and scratched down a few lines of poetry to hide away in my drawer, but rarely did I pen anything more ambitious.  Only recently has this begun to change.  In high school, I was involved in the International Baccalaureate program, which required many pieces of self-directed writing across all subjects.  I was given many open-ended assignments, such as evaluating a controversial decision in history, creating an artist’s statement, researching a mathematical concept or theory, and conducting and reporting my own experiment in biology.  Because they were so open ended, these assignments allowed me the freedom to explore areas that I was interested in, and consequently resulted in the pieces of writing I am most proud of to this day.  This, more than anything, helped me develop my voice and figure out who I want to be as a writer.

“So who is that?” you might ask. Well, I’m not entirely sure yet, which is part of what I hope this class will help me discover.  I have found that my values as a writer line up closely with the seven habits of the mind we discussed in class, particularly curiosity, openness, and creativity.  In my writing, I love to explore new ways of thinking and learn as much as I can about novel approaches I can share with others.  I especially love creativity in writing, whether in poetry, prose, or academic writing, where I can think outside the box and find new ways to present ideas.  All seven of the habits listed have some bearing on my writing, but I feel these three describe my style best.

When considering who I am as a writer, I feel this connects inextricably with what I choose to write about.  I am interested in many areas, which has made settling on a major a rather daunting task, but the common theme among them tends to be improving understanding to promote harmony.  That’s nice, but what does it mean? To put it more simply, I like to help people understand themselves, their world, and each other, by explaining things that they may experience but are unaware of, like gender roles, quasiplatonic relationships, or introversion/extroversion (this last link is actually to a post from my other blog).  I am very interested in psychology, feminism, philosophy, art, gender studies, Doctor Who, and just things that are unconventional.  I think uniqueness is one of the most beautiful things on earth, and I want to celebrate it in all its forms.


So, I hope this class will help me grow as a writer and continue to find my voice on issues I am passionate about.  I expect it will give me more tools to use as I learn to become not just a better writer than I am, but the writer that I want to be.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Cali, for reframing the question and thinking about who you want to become as a writer. It is good to know that you've had experience working on open-ended writing beside us and that you have taken the opportunity to explore many different topics. I hope that you are able to continue this work in ENG 201H.

    I will be especially interested in thinking about how you can embed creativity into the types of academic writing that we traditionally see as more formal. I think that there are many opportunities to look at subjects with a creative and critical lens, blending the best of both academic writing and narrative/poetic writing as well. I appreciate that you shared links to other ideas, including your own blog. I am reading Cain's book right now, too!

    So, yes, I think that we will find many opportunities to help you grow as a writer and continue to develop your voice around these issues for which you have a great deal of passion.

    I look forward to working with you throughout the semester!

    Dr. Hicks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cali,

    I really like the ideas you have presented in your blog. I agree that uniqueness is something to celebrate, yet so many people see it as a negative thing. I can tell that you are a very creative writer, which sparks in me an interest to read other things you have written. I hope to be able to keep up with your blogging and other writing.

    My question for you is have you found a major that combines all of your interests? I would love to see more people like you out in the world trying to change the minds of many uninformed individuals and groups of people. I hope you can find a major that channels all of your ideas together to help change the world in a positive way. Good luck!

    Kaitlyn Bradley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kaitlyn, thank you so much! I can tell from your blog that you are a creative writer as well and I'm excited to see your posts throughout the semester.

      I have somewhat settled on a major, but it will probably change by the time I graduate. Right now I'm working towards a double major in psychology and women & gender studies with minors in philosophy and art. It's quite a mouthful and I'm not sure what I will do with that in the future, but at least I found something (or rather, some things) that I'm passionate about!

      Thank you so much for your kind words! I hope I can be a force for good, even in some small way. And good luck to you as well! Have you decided what you're studying? I forget if you mentioned it in your blog or not, but whatever it is, I wish you the best in pursuing it!

      Cali

      Delete