Search This Blog

Sunday, April 26, 2015

So What?

Sometimes ENG 201 felt like this. [Gif of Matt Smith in the movie Womb, repeatedly asking "so?"]
Today I'm going to ask it one last time.
Throughout this semester, we have repeatedly learned the importance of asking, “so what?”  You develop a topic then ask, “so what?” to identify its significance.  You provide evidence such as a quote or fact and then ask, “so what?” to show readers how it furthers your argument.  Well, after asking "so what" in six blog posts, five essays, one multimedia project, and one presentation, I think it’s time to ask the question one last time.  I finished ENG 201H, so what?

Well, there are a lot of answers to that question, such as, “so now I understand that there’s a lot more to research than I ever knew before.”  I learned that research varies across disciplines, so different researchers collect different kinds of data.  This varies based on the field’s epistemology, or what it considers as knowledge.  In scientific fields, there is more emphasis on experiments and quantitative data, whereas humanities tend to emphasize surveys and interviews with qualitative data.  Moreover, even different topics and purposes require different methods of research.  My informational paper on queerplatonic relationships required me to look at blogs and wikis, which are not typically viewed as credible sources, because that is where the term originated.  My evaluative essay required personal experience as research, in the form of pictures and observations from my visit to The Dreamer.  My writing to convince project relied much more heavily on quantitative data, in the form of statistics gathered from credible studies.  This class opened my eyes to many methods of gathering research that I had not previously considered.

Another answer to this “so what” question is that this class provided me with many opportunities to experience the life of an academic.  In addition to our many discussions on “academic writing,” we were able to visit SCREE in order to see how research was presented to other academics.  From interacting with presenters there, I was able to see just how diverse research actually is.  I talked to one student who was researching the question of why witches were female by examining historical documents and contemporary writings on the Salem Witch trials.  In his research, he found a question that not only had not been answered, but also had not been asked: why were witches always portrayed as women?  His research primarily came from the writings of others, but other researchers relied on surveys, interviews, and observations to collect their data.  One group of students I talked to were researching what makes someone a quality sex educator, so they relied on interviews of students and both of their parents to provide a comprehensive picture.  Another researcher relied on a combination of personal experience and analysis of others’ writings to examine the lack of female musical conductors.  It was very interesting to hear how she approached the topic from a music perspective rather than a gender studies perspective, which was my original thought from looking at her title.  But common to all of their stories was finding their passion, searching for a gap in existing research about that topic, and deciding how they could best fill that gap in knowledge.  And this is truly what the life of an academic entails – a constant quest for greater knowledge.

I would also like to expand on this “so what” question that we have used so frequently, and add a technique that I learned from Leadership Safari training: after you ask “so what,” ask “now what.”  That is, after you establish the significance of something, consider what this means for you in the future.   All that I have learned in ENG 201 has not only made me a better writer, but it has given me tools to ensure that I keep developing throughout my college career.  I will keep practicing the habits of mind that we discussed, keep implementing templates from They Say/I Say into my writing, keep carefully considering the needs of my audience, and keep practicing the research and revision techniques in The Craft of Research.  I will continue practicing these skills throughout my college career, especially in creating my capstone project. 


These are all good answers to the question “I finished ENG 201H, so what?” But I think an even more important answer is that it gave me passion for the life of an academic.  Certainly it provided me with many important skills, many new perspectives, and many wonderful opportunities, but I am most grateful for the fact that it also taught me to desire these things.  It showed me just how incredible the pursuit of knowledge is and sparked a new excitement in me that will carry me through my years in college and beyond.  And I think that settles the question of “so what” better than anything.

Matt [in Doctor Who] celebrating because we finally got our question answered! (And it's almost summer!)

2 comments:

  1. This blog post was phenomenal. The GIFs really gave it life, and showed that you have even learned to incorporate multimedia. In regards to your ideas, I couldn't agree more when it comes to all we have learned about how research varies with different disciplines. Based on your work, I can tell you've really nailed down how to answer those 'so what' questions based on your topic, and that is awesome. It is obvious that you're a talented writer and that you have gained some fun things to bring with you as you progress. I cannot wait to see your capstone! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cali,
    First, I would like to say that this is a terrific post. Second, I would like to say that I agree with everything you have stated. Definitely, research is a work in process and can change based upon what you're writing about and the discipline that you go into. The fact that you asked "now what?" is also a great way to look at what happens after this class. I liked that you applied this class to your future in terms of that, so overall I just really agree. (:

    ReplyDelete